Big Idea Series – Open
Week 1 – Open to the God in You
March 24 – 30, 2019
Message Big Idea
When we are open to the Spirit, we will experience life more and more like Jesus
What’s the favorite gift you ever gave someone?
How often do we consider the work of the Holy Spirit in our lives? Is that a new concept or if not, how has that been integrated into your life?
- Read Genesis 1:1-3, Haggai 2:4-5, and John 14:16-17. What did you notice about the Spirit in these three scriptures?
- Read Luke 2:52, Luke 4:18-19, and Matthew 26:39, what do you notice about Jesus and the Spirit’s work in Jesus’ own life?
- Read Acts 10:34-48, what do you notice about the Spirit’s work in the apostles’ lives?
- Do you have any images of what it looks like to be a Spirit-led Christian? Share any that come up, your positive or your negative associations with that phrase.
- Being Spirit-Receptive is about living into our created reality of being Spirit-ual beings. We were created to be able to live into that incredible, innovative, creative, powerful life given by the Spirit when we are open to it. What could being open to the Spirit look like for you?
- How have you been Spirit-Resistant in your life? Are there times when you knew you were supposed to do something but didn’t? How did that feel? What happened as a result?
- Read and discuss the quote from NT Wright, how are we living as God’s Temple? “Those in whom the Spirit comes to live are God’s new Temple. They are, individually and corporately, places where heaven and earth meet.”
Commit to praying the Open prayer daily:
“God, I am open to your Holy Spirit. Make me ever-aware of your presence dwelling in me. Speak to me, transform me, empower me to be more like Jesus. God, I am open to your Holy Spirit. Amen”